You may have a great piece of property, but the time has come for the house to go. The first step in the process is to bring in a demolition company. This may seem like a simple job, but the experts know that it’s not. You need a company specializing in house demolition in Kansas City that’s been there before and knows how to take the best approach.
There are a number of ways that you can adequately prepare for demolition and ensure that the process goes smoothly. Let’s take a look at how demolition works, what you’ll need to take care of and what to expect in terms of costs:
- Utilities: The gas, electric and water lines all need to be shut off before demolition can begin. The electrical service actually must be completely removed, while gas and water service needs to be temporarily stopped. The costs of this depend on the individual utility, but can run upwards $300.
- Permits and inspections: It’s necessary to have a trained and qualified building inspector come in to determine the safest way to demolish the structure. It’s also possible an engineer may be required to put together the demolition plan. Again, this ranges depending on the structure, but you can expect to pay a minimum of $220.
- Demolition bond: Most municipalities require the property owner to secure a bond. This is so that the property owner is responsible for cleaning up the property and it doesn’t become a problem the city or county has to deal with. The cost of this bond is typically 20 percent of the property’s value.
- Foundation removal: It’s necessary to remove concrete slabs, crawlspaces and full foundations. It’s possible you may need to pay for other items like asbestos or lead paint removal. This is charged by the square foot, with the average being $2.65 per square foot.
- Actual demolition costs: If you want to salvage the building, this is going to be more expensive as the contractor will need to do hand demolition. If you’re not looking to salvage, then it’s cheaper, as hydraulic equipment can be used. Again, the cost is highly variable depending on a number of factors.
Are you looking for a reliable, trustworthy company with experience in house demolition in Kansas City? Then you’ve come to the right place. Midland Wrecking Inc. is a proud, locally owned and operated demolition contractor that serves the states of Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska. We specialize in interior and mechanical demolition while serving a diverse range of clientele, including private contractors, individuals and government agencies.
What sets us apart is our fair pricing and professional approach to demolition, salvage and hauling. As a fully licensed, bonded and insured business with over 30 years of experience in the industry, we’re dedicated to focusing our undivided attention on every one of our projects. Call us today to learn more about how we can deliver top quality for all of your demolition needs.